The Lighthouse of Genoa is symbol of the city. The monument dates back at least to 1128, according to the most widespread date by historians, and is perhaps already 900 hundred years old, almost 9 centuries of history that make it the second oldest lighthouse in the world still working. The reconstruction of 1543 has interested only partially the upper part of the tower. At that time it was on the walls and gate to the west of the city while today, inside the fortifications, there is a museum about the history of Genoa and how a lighthouse works. In 2001 a pedestrian walkway was built to make the Lighthouse more accessible to the inhabitants by connecting Terminal Traghetti to the lighthouse with a section that runs along Via Milano.
Entrance tickets for the Lighthouse of Genoa
- Visit the ancient fortifications, the nineteenth-century gate of Genoa da Ponente and the Lantern, symbol of the city since 1128
- Admire the highest lighthouse in the Mediterranean and the second highest in Europe, with its 77 meters of height
- Enjoy the view of the city from the panoramic terrace of the lighthouse which, after the tower of Hercules a la Coruna, is the oldest still working in the world
- Museum entrance ticket
- Access to the park
- Access to the panoramic terrace of the Lighthouse
Rampa della Lanterna, 16126 Genova GE
- The monument remains closed in case of strong thunderstorms or weather alert ORANGE
- For the visit to the Lighthouse it is recommended to wear comfortable shoes
- The ascent to the Lighthouse is not recommended for people with heart or walking problems.
- In case of bad weather the visits are suspended
The Lighthouse can be reached only on foot, walking along the promenade that starts from the nearby parking lot of the Ferry Terminal, which you can use for 2 and a half hours free of charge, taking a simple coffee or buying something else inside the shopping mall. The walk winds for 800 meters above the docks of the Port of Genoa.
You can reach the promenade that leads to the Lighthouse by bus or metro getting off at the stop "Buozzi 2/Metro Dinegro" if you arrive from the east, otherwise at the stop "Dinegro/Terminal Traghetti" if you arrive from the west by bus. Afterwards, just cross the road going to the seaside and continue to the Ferry Terminal, where the walk begins. Leaving the shopping mall of the Terminal Traghetti, in fact, you will find on the perimeter of the parking lot that serves it, some red and white lines with the symbol of the Lantern that will lead you, safely, to the beginning of the walk marked by a large red panel of 25m, with on drawn Genoa and written "LANTERNA"!