"Balthus" exhibition and Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza skip-the-line tickets
- Discover 46 works which cover all the stages in Balthus career
- Admire the permanent collection and the temporary exhibitions
- Explore the permanent collection and the temporary exhibitions with an audioguide (only if you choose this option at time of the purchase)
In 2019 the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza will be presenting an exhibition on the legendary artist Balthasar Klossowski de Rola (1908-2001), known as Balthus.
Considered one of the great masters of 20th-century art, Balthus is undoubtedly one of the most unique painters of his time. His diverse, ambiguous work, which has been equally admired and reviled, pursued a direction that ran completely counter to the rise of the avant-gardes. Balthus himself named some of his influences derived from the tradition of art history, ranging from Piero della Francesca to Caravaggio, Poussin, Géricault and Courbet. A more detailed study of his work also reveals references to more recent movements such as Neue Sachlichkeit and his employment of devices derived from 19th-century children’s book illustrations. In his divergence from modernity, which could now be described as “post-modern”, Balthus evolved a personal and unique type of avant-garde art and a figurative style that defies classification. His particular pictorial language, with its use of solid forms and strongly defined outlines, combines the procedures of the Old Masters with certain aspects of Surrealism. The resultig images involve numerous contradictions, juxtaposing tranquillity with extreme tension; reverie and mystery with reality; and eroticism with innocence.
The exhibition, the first retrospective to be held in Spain for more than twenty years, brings together 46 works, mostly paintings in large format, which cover all the stages in his career from the 1920s onwards.
Important information if you select the option with audio guide included: The museum has audio guides available for the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection, Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection and temporary exhibitions. The guides offer commentaries on the most important works.
- Permanent collection: Audio guides available in Spanish, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean. Approximate length: 2.5 hours or a shorter 30-minute version, Highlights
- Temporary exhibitions: Audio guides available in Spanish, English and French. Approximate length: 1 hour
- Thematic tours (Food, Sustainability. Some social challenges at the collection works, Fashion, Jewellery, The Museo as a Mirror of Don Quixote, Inclusive love, Wine Cultre in the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection): Audio guides available in Spanish and English. Approximate length: 45 minutes
- The audio guide can be rented from 10.00am to 6.00pm
- Entrance to the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza (permanent collection)
- Entrance to the temporary exhibition: "Balthus" (from 19 February to 26 May)
- Entrance to the temporary exhibition: Amar Kanwar (from 27 February to 19 May)
- Audio guide (only if you select this option)
- Free Admission Ticket: Under 18 years old, people with disabilities, Comunidad de Madrid guide, other autonomous community guide, Amigo MNAC
- Reduced Admission Ticket: Students, over 65, Youth Card holders and pensioners
Note: Eligibility for reduced-rate and free tickets must be proved at the access-control point with a valid ID
Paseo del Prado, 8, 28014 Madrid, Spain
- Metro: Banco de España
- Buses: 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 14, 15, 20, 27, 34, 37, 45, 51, 52, 53, 74, 146 and 150
- Train: Estaciones de Atocha, Sol and Recoletos
- With this ticket you can visit the museum's permanent and temporary exhibition
- Ticket valid only on the printed date
- No re-entry to temporary exhibitions
- Last visitors admitted 1 hour before closing
- All galleries are cleared 5 minutes before closing
- Please arrive 15 minutes ahead to facilitate admission at the scheduled time
- Between the end of June and the beginning of September, the museum will extend its hours for the summer months
"Balthus" exhibition: From 19 February to 26 May 2019
- Tuesday to Sunday: 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Mondays: free admission from 12.00pm to 4.00pm
- The museum is closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December
- On 24 and 31 December, opening hours are from 10.00am to 3.00pm
- Mondays: closed
- Tuesday to Sunday: 10.00am to 7.00pm
- Saturdays: 10.00am to 9.00pm
Sunday September 15 from 17:00 Toolroom Showcase lands in Fabrik in a new edition of #NaturaSunday w...
On Sunday, September 29, we closed Natura Sunday season from 5:00 pm with Wade landing at Fabrik in ...
Sunday 6 October, After Brunch returns to Florida Retreat this time as guest artist: APPARAT! - Dj's...
NATTI NATASHA Saturday, August 24 at SALA NAZCA Genres: Hits Lines Up: TBA Atmospheres: Elegant Door...
BLACKWORKS is a new series of events produced by Techno Addicts, in which we will enjoy the most und...
14/9 - Roots 3rd Anniversary w/ DJ W!LD Goya Social Club Join us the 14th of September to celebrate ...