Ostia Antica: private guided tour
- Walk in the Thermopolium and see the ancient shop with its frescoes and counter
- See the Forum Capitolium, the Temple of Rome and Augustus, the Basilica and Curia
- Admire the ancient mosaics in the Thermal Baths of Neptune and its ancient gym
- Be amazed by the old ancient Via Portuense while stepping on the ancient stones
Follow your guide inside this ancient city and former city's harbour dating back to 640 B.C. - Ostia Antica (Ancient Ostia). Explore the beautifully preserved archaeological remains of the city, once home to more than 100,000 people. Admire Roman statues that line the walkways, ancient mosaics and frescoes and feel as though you are walking in Ancient Rome itself.
Tradition says that Ostia was founded by Ancus Marcius, the 4th king of Rome, who lived during the second half of the 7th century B.C., even if there is little archeological evidence proving such information. Ostia became a river port with the commercial function to supply Rome with food stuff, particularly wheat, even if its strategic military function as a naval base certainly prevailed. Ostia population increased and could no longer be contained in the small fortified post, so the city slowly changed: from a strategic military outpost it turned into the commercial port of Rome; this function eventually determined its new urban aspect. The city walls surrounded an urban area of about 50 hectares, divided into five regions or neighborhoods. The city was accessible through three main gates: Porta Romana, that is the Eastern gate at the end of Via Ostiense, Porta Laurentina that is the Southern gate at the end of the Cardus Maximus, and Porta Marina, that is the Western gate, facing the sea, at the end of the Decumanus Maximus.
- Half-day private guided tour
- Professional, licensed guide
- Single language guided tour
- Admission fees to the site of Ostia Antica
- Subway tickets
- Headsets to hear your guide
- Headsets to hear your guide
- Food and drinks
- Pick-up and drop-off
Meeting point is located by the caffetteria, beside the entrance of Piramide subway station. Your guide will hold a "Mea Tours" sign to be easely found. Piramid subway station is on Line B Metro.
- The journey to the excavation is about 25 minutes from Piramide Station by metro
- Please be at the meeting point 15-20 minutes before tour starts
Tour starts at 8:30am
Follow in the footsteps of the emperors and of Roman citizens in a 3-hours tour, discovering the anc...
The Roman Holiday Tour departs from Piazza del Popolo, one of the most famous piazzas in Rome, in th...
The Tour starts in Villa Borghese, at the end of viale Belvedere, where our staff will conduct an in...
Walk through history on a guided visit to the Colosseum, the main symbol of the ancient Roman times,...
You have not truly seen Rome until you have experienced it at night! The monuments are completely tr...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...