Roman Houses of Celio tour with Aperitif
- Discover the extraordinary archaeological complex of "Roman Houses of Celio" below the Basilica of Sts. John and Paul
- Take part in an underground journey that will take through the lives of the citizens of ancient Rome
- At the conclusion of this tour, you'll get to enjoy a typical Roman an aperitif with food and drinks prepared following 2.000-year-old recipes
Take part in an underground journey that will take through the lives of the citizens of ancient Rome: enter the complex of residential and commercial buildings where people once lived and worked, decorated with frescoes and mosaics. This unique site is located below the Basilica of Saints John and Paul, on the Clivus Scauri street, one of the most significant ancient Roman roads on Caelian Hill.
Upon visiting the Roman Houses you will enter into the Room of the Geniuses or “geni” – Roman mythological divine spirits present in every living being and object. The most ornate room is the vaulted Room of the Orant based on the subject painted on the wall during the 4th century. Next, you'll visit the Nymphaeum of Proserpina, originally an interior open-air courtyard that separated the residential buildings from the commercial ones. The Niches, fountains, frescoes and mosaics are still a well preserved and quite remarkable sight. At the conclusion of this tour, you'll get to enjoy a typical Roman an aperitif with food and drinks prepared following 2.000-year-old recipes inside pottery, glasses and disposable plates inspired by the ancient tables.
- Guided tour
- Entrance fees
- Aperitif with alcoholic drinks
- Pick-up and transport
Pick up is included within the Aurelian walls. Please contact your local operator to confirm your pick up place and time.
- Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking
- Please note: pick up is included for all accommodations within the Aurelian walls
- Please remember that a lot of walking is involved: wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- This tour can only accommodate a maximum of 15 participants
- Every day at 4.30pm
Join the tour and combine a panoramic tour with morning skip the line access to the Vatican Museums....
Our pink buses are on the move all day long and will take you to the city’s most important monuments...
Discover the Domus Aurea – Rome’s imperial residence, designed by Emperor Nero – and dive into the h...
Discover Rome's immense history and culture in a brand new way: Vox City Guide is a state-of-the-art...
Enjoy the best panoramic views of Rome from its hills: the Aventine Hill, the Janiculum, the Capitol...
If you only have a few days to take in Italy’s many highlights, this full-day tour from Rome is the ...