St. Peter's Dome climbing experience
- Climb the iconic Dome of St. Peter’s for magnificent panoramas over Rome and the Vatican City
- Hear enlightening commentary from a local Vatican expert guide, who will explain all about the fascinating history of the Dome.
- Group size limited to 25 people or less
- Headsets so you can always hear your guide
Your day begins with an early start, to beat the crowds and be among the first to climb up the Dome. With commentary from your expert, English-speaking Vatican guide you’ll take a short walk along the St. Peter’s square before getting to the lift that takes you up to the base of the Dome. Here you will be able to admire its beautiful interior, then continue climbing 320 steps and get to the very top. From here you are rewarded with the most magnificent views over the Eternal City – no view in Rome is comparable to this. You can take as much time as you wish to take your best shots and to enjoy the panorama, before going back down at your own pace.
You will be still inside the Basilica complex when you exit the Dome, and so your day continues with another highlight. You can take advantage of the access already gained in the morning, to visit St. Peter’s Basilica on your own, without having to join the long lines to enter it. Here you can discover the incredible Papal Altar under Bernini’s Baldachin, and marvel at Michelangelo’s other timeless masterpiece, La Pietà, as you discover the most important church in the Christian world. Once outside again, you can admire Bernini’s clever optical illusion in St. Peter’s Square, spot the balcony from which the Pope delivers his public addresses and snap photos of the basilica’s heavenly façade, having covered the Vatican and St. Peter’s from top to bottom!
- Entrance into St. Peter’s Dome
- Optional entrance into St. Peter’s Basilica
- An informative leaflet about Basilica and Dome
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Headsets when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Children (3-14): Reduced
- Infants (0-2): Free
Arriving from Ottaviano - Musei Vaticani metro A station:
Exit the turnstiles – take the St. Peter’s Basilica exit. Once you exit the metro station walk down Via Ottaviano until you reach Piazza Risorgimento. Continue walking straight across the Risorgimento square and you will see the Vatican walls – follow Via di Porta Angelica until you arrive at the arches bordering Piazza della Città Leonina. Facing the arches, the meeting point is located to the left side, at the corner, next to the newspaper stand.
Your meeting point is at Piazza della Città Leonina, near the arches, where the square meets via di Porta Angelica. Facing the Arches, our meeting point is located at the corner of the square, on the left-hand side, next to the kiosk.
- Please note that the dome’s elevator only takes you to the first terrace. In order to climb to the top of the dome, you will have to use stairs (320 steps)
- This tour is not suitable for those who suffer from claustrophobia and/or vertigo, heart or other serious medical conditions, and comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This tour is unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. It is also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages
- Extra measures may be implemented at some venues due to heightened global security. As a result, you may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering these venues. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, you are strongly suggested to avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour. The Vatican only permits very small bags, and specifically prohibits large bags, tripods, umbrellas, and backpacks. Any such items must be checked into the free luggage storage area which may result in your having to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance
- It is the responsibility of all visitors to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated & missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded.
- Please note that there is no skip-the-line to the Dome’s ticket office or at St. Peter’s Basilica’s security line, hence there may be some waiting time before we access the dome
- Entrance into the Basilica and Dome complex requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Meeting time: 7.55 am
Departure: 8.10 am
Enjoy a visit to St. Peter’s in full freedom and at your own pace using your own mobile phone or tab...
Start your day early to beat the crowds and be among the first to climb up the Dome. With commentary...
See the wonders of ancient Rome in a way that most people don't! Jump the queues with an expert prof...
Join this innovative tour to explore the Colosseum like never before. Thanks to an animated and inte...
If you are planning to visit the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum on your own, but would still like...
The remains of the Stadium of Domitian (UNESCO World Heritage) are located beneath Piazza Navona, ab...
One of the main elements that makes Rome famous all over the world is represented by its wonderful s...
Visit the main underground venues in Rome with a single pass: the Olympic Stadium and Trevi fountain...
The aim of this activity is to fascinate you with a tour of Orvieto's undergrounds. You will be take...
Depart from your hotel in Rome and spend a full day discovering the Umbria, one of the most pictures...