The Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie tickets and tours
The Sainte-Chapelle and the Conciergerie are two of the earliest surviving buildings of the Capetian Royal Palace on the Île de la Cité and are consid...
The inside story
The Sainte-Chapelle and the Conciergerie are two of the earliest surviving buildings of the Capetian Royal Palace on the Île de la Cité and are considered among the highest achievements of the Rayonnant period of Gothic architecture.
Consecrated on 26th April 1248, the Sainte-Chapelle (Holy Chapel) was commissioned by King Louis IX of France to house his precious collection of Christian relics, including Christ's Crown of Thorns, which were acquired by Saint Louis. Sainte-Chapelle actually consists of two chapels, the upper and the lower. The upper chapel was meant for the king, the royal family and the relics while the lower was meant for the workers of the royal palace. Today the chapel's highly known for the beauty of its 13th century stained glass windows. There are over 1,000 biblical figures depicted in the upper chapel. You will be left speechless when stepping inside this masterpiece and seeing the sunlight beaming through its windows.