Underneath Edinburgh old town lurks a murky underworld of grim history, shady characters and unimaginable mystery. It's not enough just to read about it in some history book. The only way to find out what's really going on in the Vaults is to visit them yourself. You'll journey deep underground, exploring the former slums where the less fortunate in society used to live, hearing tales of criminals, body snatchers and witches who would have ruled these parts. Each Vault you visit has its own tale to tell, so be sure to keep your wits about you as your guide tells you of gruesome goings-on and even takes you to a witches' temple. Be careful not to step inside the infamous stone circle, where many a mysterious event has taken place.
The Edinburgh Vaults tour
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: up to 1 hour
Safety measures applied
Do this because
- Get a unique and gruesome perspective on Edinburgh from below
- Discover the underworld of the city's criminal past
- Visit a real witches' temple
What to expect
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
- Guided walking tour
Bank of Scotland, 300 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2PH, UK
Please meet your tour at the Tourist Information and Edinburgh Dungeons Police Box, Outside of the Bank of Scotland.
What to remember
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please note that this tour is unfortunately not suitable for those with walking limitations, as due to the historic nature of the site there are no lifts or ramps available at our location and guests must enter the vaults by climbing a 2-foot tall step followed by a winding staircase
- Children under 5 years old aren't allowed on this tour. Please note that this tour could be scary for younger children. If you are unsure feel free to call and ask further questions
- Tours will be limited to 16 people to allow for social distancing
- Animals are not allowed except for assistance animals such as guide dogs
- The vaults and the tour content can cause genuine distress. Please join the tour at your own discretion
- Please refer to the calendar for updated starting times and availability
AULD REEKIE TOURS LTD
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 1 day before the experience begins.