This tour consists of a marvelous walk around the ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum, buried from the ashes of the volcano Vesuvius in 79 AD. In 4 hours you'll be able to discover most of its highlights!
A walk around Pompeii is a very intense experience; you'll have the feeling of wandering in a town that's actually still living and breathing. Your guide will tell you about the history of the town and how the Romans lived, showing you all the most important public buildings and private houses.
Herculaneum is much smaller but better preserved than Pompeii. While Pompeii was covered in four to five meters of ashes, a 20-meter thick avalanche of mud buried Herculaneum. It is still possible to see second stories, carbonized wooden objects, intact paintings and mosaics. With your guide's explanation, the city will come to life.
- Pompeii: This 2-hour tour of Pompeii allows you to see all the details of the western part of the ancient town, where the most important public buildings, homes and shops are located
- Highlights: the Marina Gate, the Basilica (courthouse), the Forum (main square), the Forum baths, the Lupanar (brothel), the bakery, the house of Faun, the Termopolium Caupona, the House of Tragic Poet, the plaster casts
- Free time or 1 hour stop for a lunch in one of the snack bars, restaurants, or pizzerias nearby the ruins.
- Transfer to Herculaneum by the Circumvesuviana train
- Herculaneum: a wonderful 2-hour walk in the city of Herculaneum. Here you will see the Temple of the Augustali, the beach where more than 300 skeletons were found, the thermal baths, the forum, the house of Neptune and Amphitrite, the Samnite house, the gymnasium, the house of the Deers and much more