St. Peter’s Dome climbing with Basilica upgrade and Crypts
- Climb the iconic Dome of St. Peter’s for magnificent panoramas over Rome and the Vatican City
- Guided tour of St. Peter's Basilica, including Michelangelo’s Pietà, the famous Baldachin and the tomb of St. John Paul II
- Visit the tombs of the most important Popes in a special crypt beneath St. Peter’s Basilica
- Hear enlightening commentary from a local Vatican expert guide throughout the tour
- Group size limited to 25 people or less
- Headsets so you can always hear your guide
Start your day early to beat the crowds and be among the first to climb up the Dome. With commentary from your expert English-speaking Vatican guide, you’ll take a short walk along the St. Peter’s square before arriving at the lift that will take you up to the base of the Dome. Here you will be able to admire its beautiful interior, then continue climbing 320 steps to get to the very top. From here you will be rewarded with the most magnificent views over the Eternal City – no view in Rome is comparable to this. You will have enough time to take your best shots and to enjoy the panorama, before meeting again with your expert guide for a guided tour of the Basilica.
After, you will take advantage of the access already gained in the morning, to visit St. Peter’s Basilica with our expert guide, without having to join the long lines to enter it. Here the guide will take you through the main highlights. You will discover the incredible Papal Altar under Bernini’s Baldachin and marvel at Michelangelo’s other timeless masterpiece, La Pietà, as you explore the most important church in the Christian world. Your tour ends with a visit to the subterranean crypts of the Basilica, where many famous Pope’s have their monumental tombs. Once outside again, you can admire Bernini’s clever optical illusion in St. Peter’s Square, spot the balcony from which the Pope delivers his public addresses and snap photos of the basilica’s heavenly façade, having covered the Vatican and St. Peter’s from top to bottom!
- Entrance into St. Peter’s Dome
- Entrance into St. Peter’s Basilica
- Entrance into Crypts with Pope’s tombs
- An informative leaflet about Basilica and Dome
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Headsets when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Children (3-14): Reduced
- Infants: (0-2): Free
Arriving from Ottaviano - Musei Vaticani metro A station:
Exit the turnstiles – take the St. Peter’s Basilica exit. Once you exit the metro station walk down Via Ottaviano until you reach Piazza Risorgimento. Continue walking straight across the Risorgimento square and you will see the Vatican walls – follow Via di Porta Angelica until you arrive at the arches bordering Piazza della Città Leonina. Facing the arches, the meeting point is located to the left side, at the corner, next to the newspaper stand.
Your meeting point is at Piazza della Città Leonina, near the arches, where the square meets via di Porta Angelica. Facing the Arches, our meeting point is located at the corner of the square, on the left-hand side, next to the kiosk.
- Please note that the dome’s elevator only takes you to the first terrace. In order to climb to the top of the dome, you will have to use stairs (320 steps)
- This tour is not suitable for those who suffer from claustrophobia and/or vertigo, heart or other serious medical conditions, and comfortable shoes are recommended
- This tour is unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. It is also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages
- Extra measures may be implemented at some venues due to heightened global security. As a result, you may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering these venues. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, you are strongly suggested to avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour. The Vatican only permits very small bags, and specifically prohibits large bags, tripods, umbrellas, and backpacks. Any such items must be checked into the free luggage storage area which may result in your having to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance
- It is the responsibility of all visitors to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated and missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded
- Please note that there is no skip-the-line entrance to the Dome’s ticket office or at St. Peter’s Basilica’s security line, hence there may be some waiting time before we access the dome
- Entrance into the Basilica and Dome complex requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Meeting Time: 7.55 am
- Departure: 8.10 am
Your day begins with an early start, to beat the crowds and be among the first to climb up the Dome....
Immerse yourself in the history, architecture and lore of St. Peter’s Basilica with this all-access ...
Benefit from skip-the-line access to some of the Vatican's top attractions on this 2.5-hour guided t...
If you are planning to visit the Colosseum on your own, but would still like to skip the long lines,...
Enjoy a visit to St. Peter’s in full freedom and at your own pace using your own mobile phone or tab...
If you are planning to visit the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum on your own, but would still like...
This tour for small groups (maximum 15 people) allows you to discover the best parts of the Vatican ...
This is the tour for people who want to see everything and get the total Vatican experience. With an...
Get VIP treatment with your own Private Ancient Rome Tour as you skip all the lines and enjoy the pr...
If you want to experience the Sistine Chapel – Michelangelo’s world-famous iconic masterpiece - befo...