Chinatown Food Tour
- Don’t fall for the culinary tourist traps when you’re in San Francisco's Chinatown!
- Discover just what makes Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco's food tours the best in the city!
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco offers an irresistible food tour in the cultural hotspot of Chinatown. Explore the remarkable and historic ethnicity, culture and foods that define Hong Kong and mainland China. Taste authentic Cantonese, Mandarin and Szechuan cuisine from five Chinese owned and operated restaurants, food establishments and ethnic bakeries. Our expert foodies have done extensive and delicious research to offer you the ultimate Chinatown Food Tour. The tastes, traditions, and old-world class of these landmark establishments are a true San Francisco experience.
Let us tease your taste buds with the sweet and savory flavors of delectable authentic Chinese cuisine! Our 3-hour Chinatown Walking Food Tour includes:
- A variety of five delicious foods from the best specialty food stores to ethnic eateries
- Our fun, fascinating, and knowledgeable tour guide will divulge tidbits of information only locals know
- Walk hidden streets and alleys where we might be the only people on the street.
- Hear fun and interesting stories about the Chinese immigrants arrival in SF, The Tong Wars, Chinese architecture and more...
- Visit the Chinese Fortune Cookie Factory, the oldest Buddhist Temple in SF and an authentic Chinese market
- Taste a variety of styles of Chinese cuisine, including the best baked bun, dim sum and egg tart all without waiting in the long lines. Flavorful food specialties are served from five of the following places: (subject to change)
- New Hollywood Bakery & Restaurant: Our favorite light and buttery buns filled with barbecue-flavored cha siu pork. (est. 1991)
- Bund Shanghai: Traditional Shanghai-style cuisine
- Grant Place: Local favorite known for Hong Kong style dim sum and Chinese specialties
- Hunan House: The distinctive flavors of Hunan cuisine
- AA Bakery & Café: Freshly made, out of the oven, Hong Kong style egg tarts cooked to a smooth flan-like perfection with a buttery flakey crust (est. 2002)
- Z&Y Restaurant: Chef Han has grown in reputation by preparing food for presidents and foreign ministers of the people’s republic of China (est. 2008)
Behind every great food establishment in this city there is an equally great story of history, tradition and even innovation. On our Chinatown Food Tour, you’ll discover these amazing histories while tasting what has made these Chinese restaurants and bakeries so prized among locals.
About Sidewalk Tours...
The story behind Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco goes back three years. Two friends with a deep love of food, history and the city of San Francisco found themselves constantly taking friends and family on private walking tours. One day a friend of theirs said, "You guys always give us such informative and delicious food tours. You should start a food tour company, so other people will be able to enjoy your tours as much as we do." And the rest, as they say, is history. Our goal is to provide exceptional walking food tours of San Francisco, so people will revisit these neighborhoods with confidence and enjoy the array of cultural options they have to offer. We're self-proclaimed foodies. We've made it our mission to eat our way through San Francisco, doing a lot of delicious research ( and some not so appetizing) to bring you the best food options San Francisco has to offer. There is no better way to learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood than to eat its food. The food, and the people who prepare it, tell a story about the neighborhood. Tease your taste buds and join us in either the old Italian enclave of North Beach; the oldest neighborhood in San Francisco, the Mission District; and the historic and fascinating Chinatown. We will eat foods from decades-old establishments, which have stood the test of time, as well as newer places with award-winning chefs. Join us on a real foodie adventure as we eat our way through these delicious neighborhoods and uncover the off-the-beaten-path food spots of San Francisco. Happy Eating!
- All food tastings are included
- Feel free to bring a bottled beverage. Some of the food establishments will supply water
- A tip for your guide. It's customary to tip between 15%-20% of the ticket purchase price
The tour will meet in front of the East West Bank located at 1066 Grant Ave San Francisco, CA (94133). The cross streets are Pacific and Grant Avenues, please meet on the Grant Avenue side. The closest BART station is Montgomery. It is about a 20 minute walk to the meeting location. The Portsmouth Square Parking Garage is located at 733 Kearny Street, between Clay and Washington Streets, and is about a 5 minute walk away from the East West Bank
Pacific and Grant Avenues (San Francisco, CA)
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and cash is not accepted. Please make sure you purchase tickets well in advance of your desired tour date, as our tours sell out quickly. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- A minimum of 4 participants is needed for this tour to run
- Minimum number of purchasable tickets: 2
- Tours are given rain or shine. A good portion of our time is spent walking outdoors. However, on our food tasting tours, we do spend time inside establishments, so you will not be subject to the elements of the entire tour.
- We do a fair amount of walking on our tours. You should dress casually and wear comfortable shoes or sneakers.
- You will taste foods from five different specialty shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants. Depending on the tour you take, you may eat a piece of focaccia, a meatball and 2-3 pieces of Panelle, Italian style cured meats and cheeses, 2 truffles, delicious pasta and a piece of decadent cake. This is just some of the food on one tour. Most people say it's enough food for lunch. We suggest individuals with large appetites see how they feel after the tour, and consider ordering a dish from their favorite tasting.
- Please be sure to let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, allergy, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. All tastings are prepared in advance at each location, based on the information you provided to us at the time of ticket purchase. Please be sure to purchase your tickets in advance so that we have adequate time to prepare your tasting substitutions. Last minute dietary changes on the tour will not be accommodated. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our tastings are designed to bring you the best of what each renowned food establishment has to offer. In particular, at locations that specialize in traditional, family recipes, there isn’t always a “next best” option we can offer that will meet your specific dietary needs. If you HAVE SEVERE FOOD ALLERGIES please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We do not offer vegan or gluten-free substitutions. If you are vegan or gluten-free please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We have vegetarian options on our food tours. Be sure to let us know, well in advance, and we will make the appropriate substitutions.
- The majority of the food tastings are not guaranteed kosher. If you keep kosher please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We're on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a casual pace and stand in place for a few minutes at various attractions. The streets have a slight incline and you will have to walk up small stairs at some of the establishments. Please let us know in advance if you have difficulty walking up a few flights of stairs, and we will make arrangements for you.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides make learning about the history, culture, and foods of the neighborhoods we visit interesting, informative, and fun. Please gauge whether or not you think this tour is appropriate for your child. Children under the age of 5 are free, unless they're going to participate in all of the food tastings. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it will have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- The tour route is wheelchair accessible. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it may have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- Pets are not allowed on any of our food tasting tours. San Francisco law prohibits pets from entering an establishment that serves food or drink.
- On Saturdays and Sundays at 11.00am
A wonderful experience for first-time visitors to San Francisco! You'll discover the breathtaking vi...
Come to see and taste the best that North Beach has to offer on a one-of-a-kind North Beach Food Tou...
The Mission District is one of San Francisco's most interesting and eclectic neighborhoods, combinin...
On this relaxed, two-hour cruise, you’ll enjoy spectacular sunset views, live guitar music and light...
The San Francisco wharf and waterfront segway tour is the most sensational way to see the city - gli...
Venture north of San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge to an isolated canyon filled with ancient...
Alcatraz Island remains one of San Francisco's greatest landmarks - and now you can experience its c...
Your guide will meet you near the landing for Alcatraz ferries and give you two separate tickets. On...
Cruise under both the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge in one spectacular cruise along San Fran...
This tour will give you th lowdown on San Francisco’s trendiest neighbourhood, the Mission. You’ll w...