St. Clements Basilica and Quattro Coronati Churches Small Group Tour
- Explore all 3 layers of the miraculous Basilica of San Clemente
- Marvel at medieval mosaics that cover the whole 12th-century church
- Walk through a maze of tufa stone corridors beneath the streets of Rome
- See the 4th-century frescoes about the life of St. Alexius
- Explore the Santi Quattro Coronati Church
Meet your guide at Piazza San Clemente, and make your way inside the square’s centerpiece basilica. Your skip-the-line ticket will allow you to whisk past any long lines.
As you enter, listen to your guide to learn about the 3-tiered basilica, which was built over the 1st, 4th, and 12th centuries.
Starting inside the 12th-century building, you’ll admire the rich ornamentation of the interior as you hear about Cardinal Anastasius for whom the church was built. Gaze at a Byzantine mosaic with an arabesque motif, and stare in wonder at the frescoed floor of the edifice.
The 4th-century basilica lies one level beneath the ground. Head down to explore the aisles and central naves as your guide talks about St. Alexius and St. Clemente, whose lives are depicted in magnificent frescoes.
Walk down to the basilica’s lowest level where the remains of the 1st-century building await. Discover once-secret rooms, such as a Mithraic schoolroom, and work your way around a tangle of rooms and corridors made from volcanic stone.
Your next site to visit during this tour is the Santi Quattro Coronati Church: originally built in C. IV the church owes its name to the tradition of the martyrdom of four Roman soldiers who refused to adore Esculapio. You will visit the Oratorio di San Silvestro with the decorations of frescoes dated C. XIII which show some episodes from the legend of Costantino.
The assembly of buildings still show the severe character it had during the Middle Ages when it was used as a defensive bastion for the nearby Basilica di San Giovanni.
- Professional, licensed guide
- Headsets to be able to hear your guide at all times
- Groups of maximum 15 people
- Entrance fees to the underground Basilica of San Clemente
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Meet on Piazza San Clemente, in front of the main entrance to the Basilica di San Clemente. The nearest Metro station is "Colosseo," which is a 5-minute walk approximately. Your guide will hold a "Mea Tours" sign. Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before tour starts.
- As you are entering a sacred place, it is important that your knees and shoulders are covered, no tank tops are permitted inside the Basilica
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour starts
- The tour starts at 3.30pm
If you only have a few days to take in Italy’s many highlights, this full-day tour from Rome is the ...
This is the ideal tour for “hit and run” visitors that are willing to cover all of Rome's highlights...
You'll begin your day by being picked up at your accommodation and enjoying a panoramic 2-hour drive...
After being picked up from your hotel you'll leave the center of Rome and drive north with your priv...
Modern Italian dinner near the Vatican Join Chef Debora, for a culinary journey and wine pairing, th...
Enjoy a Delicious 4-Course Dinner Sit back and enjoy a 4-course menu inspired by the host's family t...